Looking for a festive way to add St. Patrick’s Day fun into your kids lunch? I just made this for my son today and not only did it taste great, but it only took about 10 minutes to make.
And the best part of Grilled Cheese sandwiches is that you can easily change them up by using different types of cheese and even adding a ranch or guacamole dip to go along with it. A cup of tomato soup is also a great addition! While I always use American cheese for our sandwiches, consider trying out Cheddar, Colby, Swiss or Monterey Jack.
While in pursuit to find the best grilled cheese recipe out there, here are a couple of things that we learned. The first is that cooking the sandwich at low/medium heat is the way to go. If you try to speed up the process and cook at too high of a heat, you’ll end up with a sandwich with cooked bread, but the inside is still cold.
Another tip is to use cheese as your main ingredient. If you add too many other ingredients (i.e. ham, pickles, veggies, etc…) they may overwhelm the taste.
I’d love to hear what recipes you use for Grilled Cheese sandwiches or what other shapes you make them into!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
St. Patrick's Day Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Yield 1 sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Large shamrock cookie cutter
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter onto small pan on low/medium heat.
- Add 2 slices of cheese between 2 slices of bread.
- Add sandwich to pan. If you have a top to the pan, I often use that to help keep the heat contained to help melt the cheese.
- Cook for approximately 2 minutes until golden.
- Carefully lift sandwich out of pan with spatula and add remaining 1 Tbsp. of butter to pan.
- Flip the sandwich to now cook the other side for approximately 2 minutes.
- Once cooked, place sandwich onto plate and use large cookie cutter to create the Shamrock shape.
- Add side items and lunch is now ready.